Gifts of Securities
If you own appreciated securities (held more than 12 months), you can benefit in two ways by giving them to Hellenic College and Holy Cross for its charitable purposes:
- If you itemize, you will receive a charitable deduction for the full fair market value of the gift. Gifts of appreciated assets are generally deductible up to 30 percent of your adjusted gross income. Any excess can be carried over for five years.
- In most cases, you can also avoid payment of capital gains tax that would have been due if you sold the shares.
Remember, however, a gift of appreciated assets may subject a very few taxpayers to the Alternative Minimum Tax and therefore limit the tax benefit available:
- If your broker or bank holds the certificate, please call us at (617) 850-1317 or send us a copy of your letter of instruction to the fiduciary. Give us your broker's name and telephone number and we will do the rest.
- If you hold the certificate, please send it unendorsed, by registered mail to the Hellenic College and Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology, Office of Institutional Advancement 50 Goddard Avenue, Brookline, MA 02445. Please mail a blank signed stock power in a separate envelope with a copy of your original letter of instruction to that same address.
- If you would like to give us less than the total number of shares listed on your stock certificate, please include your social security number. We will reissue a new certificate for the balance in your name.
Have your stocks decreased in value? They can make a tax-wise gift as well. Sell the shares to establish a "loss," contribute the cash and use the gift as a charitable deduction. The "loss" can be used to offset other gains.
As stated previously, the material in this entire section ("Giving Opportunities") of our website is designed to furnish our alumni and friends with general information. It is not intended as legal or financial advice. When considering a charitable gift, be sure to consult your attorney, professional adviser or accountant to ensure that it meets your individual circumstances. The Office of Institutional Advancement will be happy to assist you and your advisers in developing an approach that will best fit your needs and desires. If you would like further information concerning giving opportunities, please contact the Office of Institutional Advancement, Hellenic College and Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology, 50 Goddard Avenue, Brookline, MA 02445, (617) 731-3500.